Some people theme, some people don’t. If you want to plan a theme party but don’t know where to start, here are five steps to help you theme your way to a successful celebration. These steps are fairly simple, but require a little bit of leg work. No good theme party ever came easy, people…
- List it- Don’t just head to your neighborhood craft store with an idea and start grabbing silly nick knacks off the shelf. This leads to a discombobulated presentation, and even worse, a lot of money wasted. Create a list of musts (based off of hours of endless Pinterest browsing), get those first, and grab three extra items that work with the theme, but weren’t on your list (you can have a little fun with this).
- Craft it- Now, don’t go too crazy with this one. Simple crafts are often the cutest, and less can be more if you do it right. Bedazzling an entire mason jar is probably not the best use of your time. And if it is, we have bigger problems. Mason jars wrapped in ribbon and stuffed with flower arrangements, glitter wine bottles for centerpieces, cute chalkboard signs… These are inexpensive and easy crafts that can take your party from tacky to classy in a jiff.
- Browse it- Online shopping is a great way to get party supplies on sale, and if you order in bulk, shipping is often free. Convenient, less expensive, and you don’t have to get out of your sweatpants… ummm, yes please.
- Reuse and Repurpose- This. Is. Clutch. Reusing theme party staples can save a ton of time and money. This can be antique picture frames you use for fun signs, mason jars for a cocktail bar or as table arrangements, artificial flower arrangements to add a pop of color. Keep a storage bin with all of these reusable items and add to it as you go!
- Hit the thrift- Don’t be scared, it’s actually pretty fun to find bargains and unexpected party items at a quarter of the cost. Linens, fancy antique serving dishes, wine glasses, table clothes, frames…the possibilities are endless, and this is a sure way to guarantee your party is unique and your own.
So there you have it, the five steps to take your party from basic to basically fabulous. Happy theming! – Savannah McBride
Q. What does your life say about you? A. Looking at my life, I think one quote describes the gist of it, “Stop wishing. Start doing.” I’ve never been one to wait on fulfilling my dreams and goals, or hold out on taking chances and adventures. Once I have my mind set on something, I’m focused on it (some may even call it obsessed). So far, living by this motto has done me well. I’ve earned, learned and experienced many amazing things.
Q. What has been your career highlight, so far? A. Landing a top 5 finalist spot on Good Morning America in its “5-Alarm Firefighter Contest”. It was a random, last-minute entry of a music video with a client at the time, the Las Vegas Firefighters. It was awesome to see work that I was a part of on national. Plus it was a super fun video shoot, followed by an after-party in downtown Vegas. PR life at its finest!
Q. What’s your favorite thing about San Francisco (so far)? A. My favorite thing is that there is always something different to do here. Whether it’s a festival, outdoor adventure, checking out a new restaurant/bar, sporting event, or enjoying the city culture. I don’t think you could ever get bored living in a place like this. The city life is definitely challenging at times, but the rewards of the environment are worth a million muni mishaps. 😉
Q. Favorite thing to do in San Francisco. A. My favorite thing to do is explore. I love checking out new hidden city gems, outside cities and the bar/restaurant scene. Second to that is Giants games – the bleachers, beer, friends and a ballgame. It doesn’t get much better, that is until football season starts.